Items tagged "corn":
Recipe # 33: Humble Pie
Would you like some pie?
A pie in the face is both poignant and funny but a Russian tragedy involving the torment of thwarted food service is more poignant and much funnier.
This recipe is a fully vegetarian version of one containing chicken and although I’m not in a position to compare the two, I’ve trotted this out to many meat loving family members and am always asked for the how to.
So break out your tiny pie knife.
1. Make some tomato sauce by sweating an onion in olive oil over a gentle heat until soft but not browned, add a couple of cloves of chopped garlic and a sliced chilli or two.
2. Add an 800 g tin of tomatoes, a tsp of sugar and a good splash of Worcestershire sauce and season. Cook the sauce over a gentle heat for at least 30 mins to make a rich sauce. Add 2 tbsp chopped tarragon at the end and cook a couple of minutes longer.
3. While the sauce is cooking, heat 30g butter with 2 tbsp olive oil and add about 6 diced courgettes. Cook until slightly soft, then add 2 cloves garlic, pinch ground cloves, pinch ground cumin, pinch ground cinnamon and cook 5 mins. Add the sauce, and some chopped parsley if you like.
4. Make a topping by putting 500g cooked corn kernels in a food processor with 55 g butter and 1 tbsp flour (or polenta) Blend to a course paste and season.
5. Grease a baking dish and put half the corn on the bottom. Add the courgettes. Scatter over 100g feta, then top with the remaining corn.
6. Bake at 180 C for 45 mins.
Recipe # 6: corn bread, hey ya
southern style grittage
1. Preheat oven to 200 C. Put 1 cup of polenta in a large bowl and sift
in 3/4 cup flour, 1 Tbsp baking powder and 1 tsp salt.
2. Beat 2 eggs and stir into dry ingredients, then fold in 1 cup milk and 1/4 cup
3. Stir in a cup of corn (I personally use frozen corn quite often - frozen veges are very underrated) and 1 cup grated cheese (FYI I used a hard mild goats cheese but anything will do). Add some chopped pickled jalapenos (optional but exceptional)
4. Pour into a very well greased loaf tin and bake 30 mins or until a skewer comes out clear.